Wednesday, September 10, 2008

To Mom & Dad

Like any other child, I inherit a lot from my parents. And by that I'm not only referring to my mom's nose and ears, or my dad's eyes and naturally straight hair (umm..when he had hair lol). I'm talking about personality traits that I inherit from my parents that make Yusof Fadli Bin Hj Sidek, Yusof Fadli Bin Hj Sidek.


Personally, I believe that I inherit more from my dad. I got my sense of humour from my dad, hands down. I'm not saying that my mom aint funny but my dad's just awesome when it comes to teasing people and being the clown in a gathering, especially family gatherings. He thrives in making people laugh which makes family gatherings that much more fun. And yes I feel very lucky and proud of my dad! no no, no sarcasm intended haha. You can ask any of my family members and they'll tell you that I'm almost a carbon copy of my dad when it comes to having fun and pulling practical jokes. So if you think I'm annoying, try go camping with my dad for a night hahaha.


Just like my dad, I'm an extrovert and I find it quite easy to get along with people especially with strangers. But yet again, just like my dad, I keep my inner thoughts and feelings in the 6 six inches between my ears and only share them with my circle of close friends.


It's so easy to assume that my dad has worked as a clown in a circus before because he almost never shows any signs of affection, even within the household. He just goes about his own business at home, talks about his passions-whether it be gardening, golf, planes or historical facts- and then cracks up a joke or two. Even when I had accomplished or won something which will get my mom all hyped up that she would run up and give me a hug that'll suffocate me, he'll just look at me in the eyes and smile. Never has he ever said the word 'Thank you', 'Sorry' and 'Congratulations' to me, never. It took me quite some time to understand this part of him. I can't believe it took me until my teenage years to figure out that beneath that cheeky smile of his, lies the sweetest soul a dad can have. A soul that has a muted voice but has the purest and best intentions. 'Thank you', 'Sorry' and 'Congratulations' are words that are hard to come by from my dad. And I realised that I seldom say those words to my friends, especially to my closer friends, when necessary. I'm really sorry guys! My actions speak louder than my words, so the absence of those words do not necessarily reflect how I feel yeah? I guess those words are more or less implied when the time calls for it :)




My love for planes, travelling, golf and fireworks came from my dad. Especially now that it's Ramadhan, it's time to stock up on fireworks! Ironically my dad seems to be more excited than I am in buying fireworks this year. The older I get, the more he treats me less like a child and more like his bestfriend which is really awesome. And these three things - planes, golf and fireworks - run through my bloodline as four of my uncles play golf, one is a pilot and the other is involved with aerospace engineering, and fireworks, we all play fireworks don't we? haha. Since most of my relatives from my dad's side live within a neighbourhood, we would traditionally have some sort of 'badil' competition on the eve of Hari Raya.



I got my competitiveness from my mom. My mom's a perfectionist and she hard-wired that attitude into me from a very young age. I-hate-losing, in everything. Whether it be losing in a casual golf match with my dad and uncles or losing academically. Being runner-up just means that you're the first loser. Initially it was very hard for me to cope with this attitude, after all, nothing's perfect right? Why work towards something that's impossible to achieve? But my mom showed me that by striving to be 'perfect' actually makes the road to excellence shorter. Its hard to explain, so I'll skip this lol. I always try my best in everything and when things do not go my way, my short fuse kicks in and that's a fault that I'm still working on. As I said, nothing or no one is perfect right? :) Not that I'm going to use it as an excuse though.


Ok I'm not a Readers Digest author, so I apologize if the post is short. I think I'm missing something there. But it's way past midnight and I'm sleepy already. I'm off to sleep now. Oh by the way I got my 'staying up late' gene from my Mom. lol

No comments: